Thursday, June 28, 2012

Remembering Roger



Singapore Sports School, on 26 June 2012, lost Mr Roger Brendon Poulier, a senior teacher in the English Department.

Mr Poulier, 50, joined our School on 1 July 2004 as Head of Department, English.

He was respected by his colleagues and well-loved by student-athletes.

Principal, Mrs Deborah Tan, described Mr Poulier as an amiable man who was caring, nurturing and had a zest for life.

Director of Academics and School Administration, Mr Seah Poh Chua, who had known Mr Poulier since our School’s pioneer days, said student-athletes were Mr Poulier’s top priority.

“He cares for them very much and he is passionate about teaching them – not just the English language but other aspects of life that have helped to mould them into wholesome youths.

“Roger’s nurturing ways have impacted our student-athletes greatly. He is well-loved and respected by student-athletes, their parents and our colleagues. His passing is a great loss to our school.”


Indeed, the ones who feel the loss of Mr Poulier most keenly are his student-athletes, both past and present.

Badminton student-athlete Lim Wei Liang, said in his farewell note to Mr Poulier: “It’s awesome knowing you. You’e a great guy with a big heart.”

Wei Liang said he misses Mr Poulier’s presence in School and especially the library where they had bonded.

“I have lost my best friend rather than a teacher,” he said.

Bowling student-athlete Mexx Lee Zhu Wei said he is grateful that Mr Poulier did not give up on him.

“I didn’t just learn to speak good English from you, I also learnt how to be a good person. I always looked forward to your class. You made learning interesting and fun,” Mexx said in his note.

Swimming student-athlete Lim Ching Hwang said Mr Poulier is the kindest teacher he has known.

“You taught me English, taught me how to be a good boy, taught me about life. You were like my good friend; we talked about everything…

“Although you will not see me graduate, I am going to do my best and make you proud.”

Mr Poulier impacted even the student-athletes who did not take his classes.

Swimming alumnus Jenell Paidgen Tan Wen Yee, who graduated in 2011, said Mr Poulier was “one of those teachers with amazing composure and patience.”

She added: “You were extremely friendly towards even those who weren't your students. When I was at Sports School, my favourite haunt was the Library. I saw you there teaching your students with such enthusiasm despite your state. It showed how passionate you were about your work and that you were probably more than just a teacher to your students.”

Several alumni mentioned “Tuesdays with Morrie”, a book by Mitch Albom, which Mr Poulier had introduced to them.

Golf alumnus George Foo, from the pioneer batch of 2004, said: “To all of us, you were ‘Morrie’. A teacher of life and how to live life with a purpose and fight for it in spite of adversity.”

Sailing alumnus Cecilia Low, who graduated in 2008, recalled the “living funeral” that Mr Poulier held.

“I am so glad that I got to say everything that I want you to hear before you left. Everything feels a lot better knowing that our class did a living funeral with you and I will remember it for life. Thank you for everything. Love you always,” she said.

Dr Irwin Seet, another of our pioneer staff, reflected in his final note to Mr Poulier: “Sports School started with us pioneers; people who felt the calling to give student-athletes a chance to succeed and balance studies and sports.

“You were always so passionate, full of zeal and life, so gung-ho and full of love for everyone.”

Mr Poulier’s capacity to love was felt by all he taught, or met.

Poojaa Darshan, from the pioneer batch of student-athletes in the Track and Field, said: “Seven years ago, I remember reading out my ambition to you in a speech in English class and you told me, ‘Well done.’ Just a day ago, I could still see you mouth the very words, ‘Well done’, when I told you I am pursuing my degree now in that very field.

“You never stopped believing in me and that's why you are one of the greatest people I know.

“Even in all the pain, you could still listen and see how much you meant to all of us in Sports School.

In a way, that was your living funeral. Just like the living funeral you gave us many years ago that had the class in tears. Oh Roger, I will surely miss you May you rest in peace.

Mr Poulier had generously shared many facets of his life with staff and student-athletes, and we have all been richer of the experience.

Wrote bowling alumnus Michaela Oehler, who graduated in 2010: “Every day I logged into Facebook, the first thing I would see was Mr Roger's Happy Birthday wishes to his Facebook friends.

“When I walked into the library, I would meet a very happy and bubbly face. He was always cheerful and always had a smile no matter how his day was going.

"Although I wasn't his student, he knew each one of us. Every year, he would wish me 'Happy Birthday'. I will definitely miss him. Rest in peace, Sir

Some accolades posted on Mr Poulier’s Facebook Wall include descriptions such as “Roger Rocks”, “Roger Rules” and “Roger is Awesome.”

I can’t agree better.

Rest in peace, Roger. I miss you dearly.

No comments: