Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Teachers Who Impacted My Life

01 September 09

These are teachers who either inspired me or believed in me and did not allow me to give up:

Hwa Chong Junior College (1977-1978)
• Mrs Lee Phui Mun, my Vice-Principal, who instead of punishing me for truancy, gave me something useful to do, which launched me on my writing career.

Methodist Girls' School (1973 to 1976)

• Mrs Ng Meow Leng, who taught me Chinese as a second language from Sec 1 to Sec 4, and helped me to pass the 2 most critical exams – Sec 4 Prelims and GCE “O” Levels. Upon knowing my results, she went around the school, wept, declared, “Shirley passed Chinese!” and organised a BBQ lunch at her home to celebrate my success. Later, when I decided to take up Chinese A at “A”, she offered to tutor me for free.

• Mr Lim Chong Han, one of 2 male teachers during my time at school, and who stood up to our “bullying” like a man. Mr Lim, if you have ever wondered why you keep calling me, “Sharon”, instead of “Shirley”, it’s because the first time you asked, “Prefect, what’s your name?”, I had told you, “Sharon”.

• Mrs Raymond Ong, whose reading was so melodious that I could not but fall in love with the English Language.

• Mrs Tan Wai Fong, Mrs Pok Biau Hee, who believed I could make something of my life if I applied myself – other than being a school athlete.

I think they did not bargain that I would take their words literally – and became a bodybuilder.

(Picture) Take A Bow... Mr Lim Chong Han, Mrs Pok Biau Hee (to Mr Lim's left) and Mrs Lee Phui Mun (seated in the row behind, in a colourful dress), attended the launch of my book, "Gritty Nithi: The Remarkable Life of Nithiah Nandan – Comrade & Champion" on 10 November 2007: >

Thank you, Teachers!

- Shirley Tan-Oehler
Author, "Gritty Nithi: The Remarkable Life of Nithiah Nandan – Comrade & Champion"
(In English (now in its Second Edition), Malay, Tamil, Chinese and Bahasa Indonesia Editions)

No comments: