Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Teachers Who Impacted My Life

01 September 09

These are teachers who either inspired me or believed in me and did not allow me to give up:

Hwa Chong Junior College (1977-1978)
Mrs Lee Phui Mun, my Vice-Principal, who instead of punishing me for truancy, gave me something useful to do, which launched me on my writing career.

Methodist Girls' School (1973 to 1976)

Mrs Ng Meow Leng, who taught me Chinese as a second language from Sec 1 to Sec 4, and helped me to pass the 2 most critical exams – Sec 4 Prelims and GCE “O” Levels. Upon knowing my results, she went around the school, wept, declared, “Shirley passed Chinese!” and organised a BBQ lunch at her home to celebrate my success. Later, when I decided to take up Chinese A at “A”, she offered to tutor me for free.

Mr Lim Chong Han, one of 2 male teachers during my time at school, and who stood up to our “bullying” like a man. Mr Lim, if you have ever wondered why you keep calling me, “Sharon”, instead of “Shirley”, it’s because the first time you asked, “Prefect, what’s your name?”, I had told you, “Sharon”.

Mrs Raymond Ong, whose reading was so melodious that I could not but fall in love with the English Language.

Mrs Tan Wai Fong, Mrs Pok Biau Hee, who believed I could make something of my life if I applied myself – other than being a school athlete.

I think they did not bargain that I would take their words literally – and became a bodybuilder.

(Picture) Take A Bow... Mr Lim Chong Han, Mrs Pok Biau Hee (to Mr Lim's left) and Mrs Lee Phui Mun (seated in the row behind, in a colourful dress), attended the launch of my book, "Gritty Nithi: The Remarkable Life of Nithiah Nandan – Comrade & Champion" on 10 November 2007: >

Thank you, Teachers!

- Shirley Tan-Oehler
Author, "Gritty Nithi: The Remarkable Life of Nithiah Nandan – Comrade & Champion"
(In English (now in its Second Edition), Malay, Tamil, Chinese and Bahasa Indonesia Editions)

No comments: